Traceable Infrastructure is as vulnerable as traceable messages.

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Aug 3 17:48:59 PDT 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001 mmotyka at lsil.com wrote:

>Nested encryption protects a subverted node from being able to trace the
>entire chain in one fell swoop.

Take your focus off the individual message.

Okay?

Now look at the system, the infrastructure, that you need to
send that message anonymously. It relies on identifiable
remops existing at known addresses.  Known to the people sending
messages == known to the cops.

If the law wants to take this thing down, they will  not be
attacking the strongest point -- ie, trying to trace individual
messages.

Instead, they will attack the weakest point -- trying to drive
remailer operators out of business and thus destroy the
infrastructure you need.  That is the threat model I'm concerned
about, and given that network monitoring is now automatable and
cheap, it is entirely do-able.

>As long as there is one uncompromised node in a chain subversion doesn't
>guarantee a matchup of "from" and "to" but it improves the odds.

So what?  A move by the g8 to protect the "global infrastructure"
of the Internet, (polspeak for protecting their ability to control
what the sheep think) followed by laws passed in individual countries,
would force remops to operate solely in "rogue states", and messages
to and from them could be screened out pretty simply.

				Bear