Gotti, evidence, case law, remailer practices, civil cases, civilit

Anonymous nobody at remailer.privacy.at
Fri Aug 3 02:08:01 PDT 2001

Black Unicorn wrote:
>> Your complaints about "free research" suggest that you have the sense
>> that you are more valuable than or superior to other contributors.
>
>I think that's quite a reach on your part if you are pointing it out
>generally.

I don't think so.  Other people don't think so.

Please don't be unhappy, I'm actually trying to be helpful.  I've
enjoyed reading your work.

Specifically, your work on spoliation has affected my thinking, and
probably that of others.  Sometimes it's a little hard to tell that
one is having an effect.  Often a really good post elicits minimal
response because there's not much more to be said.  And thousands of
readers of this list never post at all.

However, you have made a variety of remarks which could be seen, not
too unreasonably, as being just a little bit condescending.  If you
are feeling that people are behaving inappropriately towards you, it
might be worth considering if you might be unintentionally conveying
this impression.

>If you mean with specific reference to legal points regarding the
>production of documents and such- very much the focus of my early
>legal career- then I would submit to you that I would have to be
>awfully stupid _not_ to have more experience and expertise in these
>matters than anyone who had not spent the amount of time I had in the
>field.

No, what I am specifically addressing is complaints of having done
some research and "jocular" requests for money.  Other people who have
experience and have done research have not made these requests.
(Okay, some have, but they warrant the same response.)

>I am more than happy to volunteer my expertise, and my research time,
>to try to focus discussions (or confuse discussions depending on your
>view) with respect to legal matters that impact system design.

Good!  As I've said earlier, I find these posts useful.

>I, after all, don't demand cites from C++ manuals, or physics texts
>when a fairly recognized expert in those fields posts on those topics
>here.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to do so.  This isn't just an engineering
thing, academia functions the same way.  People want to know the chain
of evidence.  This is healthy.

I don't especially believe in trusting "recognized experts" because so
many of them are simply "recognized."  In your case, nobody even knows
your name, so is it all that unreasonable to ask for a citation?

(Perhaps you didn't enjoy being insulted, but that's part of the deal
if you trifle with the Lion of Aptos. ;-)

>> It's a free world, but it might work better
>> not to insult people, even if the insult is slightly veiled.
>
>I think if you review the posts on this topic over the last few days
>you might find that I've been perhaps the most civil of the authors,
>even in the face of some pretty caustic replies.

Is this really all that civil? :

>> (Your spoliation posts have been interesting.  Thank you for writing
>> them.)
>
>Oh, you read them?  That will be $750.00 please.

To me, this is condescending and that is unwarranted.  If you feel
that you are slumming it, it's a good idea not to let on to the
slummees.