How pork works -- a case study, from Sen. Richard Shelby

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Aug 3 06:37:05 PDT 2001

         United States Senator * Alabama
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                              For
      More Information Contact:
      August 2, 2001
         Andrea Andrews (202) 224-6518

      SHELBY ANNOUNCES SENATE APPROVAL
      FOR ALABAMA PROJECTS

         WASHINGTON, D. C. --- U. S. Sen. Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.), a
      member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, announced today the
      approval of funding requests for several Alabama projects.  The Senate
      approved several Alabama-related projects at the request of Senator
      Shelby.

      Sen. Shelby said, "The money included in this legislation will go a
      long way towards assisting many communities in Alabama."

      The following project requests, were funded by the Senate:

      University of South Alabama, Center for Estuarine Research - $750,000
      "I am pleased to announce $750,000 in funding for the Center for
      Estuarine Research at the University of South Alabama.  The Center
      conducts important research on the ecology of coastal lands and
      seascapes in the Gulf Coast and Mobile Bay areas.  This funding will
      allow the University of South Alabama to continue the vital ecological
      research it is conducting in Alabama.  The knowledge gained from this
      research provides important scientific insights that can be used to
      preserve and protect coastal plants and wildlife,"  said Shelby.

      Renovation of the Historic Greene County Courthouse - $400,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "The historic Greene County Courthouse is an
      important part of Alabama's history.  I am pleased that this money
      will be used to restore the Courthouse to its' natural beauty.  This
      restoration effort is an important first step in the County's
      long-term plan for renovation of the old Courthouse Square."

      Hamilton, Alabama Call Center Facility - $500,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "The City of Hamilton is greatly in need of a Call
      Facility.  Our funds will allow the city to construct the facility
      that will result in nearly 600 jobs for the city and surrounding
      area."

      The American Village, Federal Hall/Liberty Square Expansion - $500,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "These funds will be used for the construction of
      Federal Hall and the expansion of Liberty Square in Montevallo.  The
      expansion will triple the capacity of students served by the facility
      to more than 150,000 per year.  The educational potential of these
      projects is significant."

      The Alabama Quail Trail - $100,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "The Alabama Quail Trail project will create a
      "Quail Trail" to attract hunters to rural Alabama hunting areas.  The
      untapped natural resources of these areas offer superb hunting areas
      for  visitors.  The boost that will be provided to local economies by
      visiting hunters is not insignificant.  Once fully implemented, the
      Alabama Quail Trail will generate considerable economic growth in
      rural Alabama."

      Cleveland Avenue YMCA, Montgomery, Alabama - $500,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "We have included $500,000 for the Cleveland Avenue
      YMCA in Montgomery to expand their existing programs.  This facility
      is a cornerstone of the community and serves an underprivileged youth
      population in Montgomery.  The expansion of these programs will allow
      the YMCA to serve a greater number of young people in the area."

      - more -

         Page 2 - VA/HUD Appropriations

      Housing Authority of Andalusia Bright Beginnings Project - $350,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "The Andalusia Bright Beginnings Project serves a
      population of low-income, high-risk preschool children in the
      Andalusia area to ensure that they have the proper educational
      foundation before entering elementary school.  These funds will allow
      the Andalusia Housing Authority to expand these educational programs
      and construct a new facility to accommodate a greater number of these
      children in their program."

      Winfield, Alabama Call Center Facility - $500,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "The $500,000 provided in this legislation will
      allow the City of Winfield to construct a Call Center facility that
      will result in nearly 600 jobs for the city and surrounding area."

      Lovelady Building Acquisition on Historic Water Avenue, Selma, Alabama
      - $100,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "These funds will assist the City of Selma in the
      protection of this historic home on Water Avenue.  The acquisition of
      the Lovelady Building will also allow for future expansion of the St.
      James Hotel property."

      Lakeshore Foundation Facility Expansion - $500,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "Birmingham's Lakeshore Foundation serves Alabamians
      with disabilities through a variety of programs and services.  The
      $500,000 we have provided  will assist the Foundation in their efforts
      to expand their facilities to serve a greater number of individuals
      with physical disabilities."

      Family Connection, Inc. Diversionary Program for First Time Juvenile
      Offenders - $150,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "Family Connection, working together with the Shelby
      County District Court, will serve the community with the operation of
      a facility for first time juvenile offenders.  Our funding will assist
      Family Connection in the construction of the facility to house this
      important program."

      Covington County Farm Center - $300,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "The Covington County Farm Center is an important
      part of the Community and I am pleased that the $300,000 we have
      provided will assist them with the construction of Phase II of the
      Center.  This Center is an important part of the on-going economic
      development in Covington County."

      Alabama Department of Environmental Management, Water and Wastewater
      Training  - $700,000
      Sen. Shelby said, "These funds will be used to continue the training
      at the Alabama Department of Environmental Management."

      Alabama Water Projects
      "We recognize that cities and counties are faced with many water and
      sewer challenges and I believe that this funding will go a long way in
      assisting local communities with those challenges," said Shelby.

         Southwest Alabama Regional Water Authority water facility project -
      $1,000,000
         Rainbow City construction of emergency response systems for the
      sewerage lagoons - $500,000
         Grant, Alabama wastewater collection and treatment facilities -
      $600,000
         Jackson, Alabama for water system improvements - $1,000,000

      - 30 -