Gotti, evidence, case law, remailer practices, civil cases, civilit

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Thu Aug 2 21:34:10 PDT 2001

There was some discussion a while back (check the archives since I
probably sent a URL) about how 'the law' was being buried in copyrighted
archives that were unavailable to the 'common man'...

Just another example of how fucked up the courts and law in general in
this country is.

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Ray Dillinger wrote:

> A worthwhile question for Cypherpunks -- all of the court decisions
> and cites are, technically, public domain information.  And yet
> access to that information, in terms of legal databases, remains
> either extremely expensive, or the province of a Priveleged Caste
> (to whom "extremely expensive" looks like "normal business expenses").
>
> Westlaw owns some of the most expensive copyrights, per-copy, of
> any entity -- and all they've done is number the pages and paragraphs
> and provide an index on public domain information.
>
> I think that there is, or ought to be, a good cypherpunk solution
> to making legal cites available for everyone.  A distributed
> law library, hosted on many servers?  Legal cites on Freenet?
>
> After all, what good is crypto anarchy if we can't break a copyright
> monopoly (or at least a case of non-competitive pricing) imposed on
> public domain information?

                Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
                God said, "Let Tesla be", and all was light.

                                          B.A. Behrend

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com