Spoilation, escrows, courts, pigs.

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Thu Aug 2 20:48:06 PDT 2001

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Tim May wrote:

> At 12:22 PM -0700 7/31/01, Black Unicorn wrote:
>
> >Not being intimately familiar with the spec of freenet I can't really comment
> >on that aspect or what a court will consider "impossible."  What will not
> >amuse a court is the appearance of an ex ante concealment or disclosure in
> >anticipation of court action.  If it looks like you knew it was going to be a
> >court issue and you put it on freenet for that purpose, you're in trouble.
>
> I think the cops will _someday_ come to rip my place apart. So?
>
> Show me exactly which law I am breaking by placing some of my
> documents or files in a place even I cannot "turn over all copies
> from."
>
> I have never heard of such a law.

There ain't any, at least in the US.

When I first setup SSZ on the net I spoke to a couple of lawyers about
'records retention' and system operation with respect to potential future
prosecution. It had more to do with customer litigation than something
like cpunks, but after (peripheraly) going through the SJG thing why take
chances?

Bottom line, there ain't none, so I don't keep none. The fact that one of
these reasons is so that I'm not collecting potential evidence for my
prosecution is not condeming nor is it relevant in and of itself to future
prosecutions.

                Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
                God said, "Let Tesla be", and all was light.

                                          B.A. Behrend

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com