Official Reporters have more copyright rights

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Wed Aug 1 14:37:02 PDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 02:33:40PM -0400, Trei, Peter wrote:
| > Isn't ROT-13 what Adobe used in the eBook?  Isn't that what Dmitry
| > Skylarov was arrested for circumventing?
| >
| > I'd say it doesn't matter how strong the cryptography is.  What
| > matters is whose pocketbook is larger.
|
| No, Adobe did not use ROT13. They were quite a bit better than that
| (though still breakable, obviously).

My reading of the DMCA (and IANAL) is that any system that you use is
deemed effective if it works in normal circumstances to protect your
content.  As such, I believe that the use of rot-13 is a better
engineering choice than the use of AES.  rot-13 is smaller, faster,
less buggy and equally effective, given that the key is stored locally
with the content.

Adam

					               -Hume