Congress hard at work: Cereal box regulation

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Wed Aug 1 11:52:39 PDT 2001

> Alan Olsen[SMTP:alan at clueserver.org] wrote:
>

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
> > SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE Packaging Antitrust, Business Rights, and
> > Competition Subcommittee hearing on "S.1233, the Product Package
> Protection
> > Act: Keeping Offensive Material Out of our Cereal Boxes." Location: 226
> > Dirksen Senate Office Building. 2 p.m. Contact: 202-224-7703
> > http://www.senate.gov/~judiciary
>
> Looking for the "Crack" in "snap, crackle, and pop"?
>
> I would be interested in attending this just to try and figure out what
> the HELL they are worried about.
>
> I don't think Safeway is going to start carrying "PornoPops" any time
> soon.

According to the Senate, you'd think wrong.

I can't give the cite, but I saw this a couple days ago.
Apparently, some yahoo was slipping racist pamplets
into cereal boxes on a store shelf.

Politicians have too much trouble justifying their
existence to let a chance like this slip through.

Peter Trei