Official Reporters have more copyright rights

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Wed Aug 1 11:33:40 PDT 2001

> Riad S. Wahby[SMTP:rsw at mit.edu] wrote:
>

> Tim May <tcmay at got.net> wrote:
> > protect against ROT-13 and Pig Latin being DMCA-protected. Utterly
>
> Isn't ROT-13 what Adobe used in the eBook?  Isn't that what Dmitry
> Skylarov was arrested for circumventing?
>
> I'd say it doesn't matter how strong the cryptography is.  What
> matters is whose pocketbook is larger.
>
> Riad Wahby
> rsw at mit.edu

No, Adobe did not use ROT13. They were quite a bit better than that
(though still breakable, obviously).

One other company mentioned in Sklyarov's paper did, but the content
of their site suggests they are an investment advice firm, using  it
to protect their own reports which they sold to customers (this is not
clear from the paper - I think Dmitri was grandstanding a bit here.)
The only victim of their incompetence is themselves.

Last time I checked, the paper was on
http://www.treachery.net/~jdyson/ebooks/

Peter Trei