Criminalizing crypto criticism

Rick Smith at Secure Computing rick_smith at securecomputing.com
Wed Aug 1 10:48:50 PDT 2001

I had suggested that a large number of crypto researchers take the
proactive (or rather, prophylactic) step of informing *all* vendors of copy
protection that the researchers are interested in studying the encryption
used in their products. The notion of this would be that such an act by a
large group would reduce the risk of retribution against individuals who
participated.

At 05:43 PM 7/31/2001, Alan Olsen wrote:

>All they have to do is make a messy example out of one or two. (It also
>helps if you can get a prosecutor that is working on a promotion to help out.)

I Am Not A Lawyer, so someone more knowledgeable may correct me if I'm
wrong, but...

There's nothing here for a prosecutor to do. There's nothing illegal about
a bona fide crypto researcher informing a vendor of an intent to study
their product, which is offered to sale to the public. In fact, the
researcher is complying with the legal requirements.

I don't see any way the vendor could file an injunction or take other legal
action simply because someone (especially one of a large number of people)
announced an intent to study their product, again, as a bona fide crypto
researcher, as stated in the law.

Rick.