Forced disclosures, document seizures, Right and Wrong.

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Aug 1 09:18:45 PDT 2001

     --
On 31 Jul 2001, at 11:53, Black Unicorn wrote:
> I wanted to make sure to correct the common misconception among
> cypherpunks that you can just thumb your nose at a court with
> impunity.

And I would like to correct the common misconception spread by lawyers that there are magic legal formulas that will stop the state from using its power as it damn well pleases.

The basic formula for avoiding inconvenient legislation is "ignore, do not confront"

Cryptography will do what no legal incantation can ever do:  Stop the state from getting what it wants.

The basic problem with any legal incantation is that at some point you must explain to the authorities:  "My actions were legal for this reason and that reason", explaining in inconveniently great detail what you are doing, and their response your complicated and highly informative explanation
will almost certainly be to hit a few times, and then lock you up.    With cryptography they have a mysterious block of unexplained and useless bits.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     JANNmX0j07QW30P9Cc27QiqF8q5cpCo3I8liMPSB
     49dFf40+yHv+hoo3KF4nAfKebsirpjIxk0HHs2agx