Ashcroft Targets U.S. Cybercrime

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Wed Aug 1 04:53:30 PDT 2001

Black Unicorn wrote:

>If I were a duly appointed law enforcement official I could arrest you for
the
>kind of shoes you were wearing.  You'll have recourse eventually, but it will
>be after a 24 hour (or so) stay in the pokey and posting bail and hiring an
>attorney, and....

Yes, yes, and the claim that a prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich, are
what makes the United States a nation of laws less abided, less understood,
less respected. Tim May's daily law-breaking is normal. Even lawyers do it.
All believing they will never be targeted.

But with 1 out of 8 US persons working in the law industry, and 1 out of 100
incarcerated, most of the population will one day will suffer forfeiture, do
community service, make restitution, be on probation, wear tracking devices,
be snooped on, hairy-eyeballed at a weekly upcoming case schedule, or
just grouped into a conspiracy for being churned throught the justice system
as a re-education in responsible citizenship.

If you think you can avoid this re-education then you probably consider
yourself above or outside the law, under the radar, unnoticeable, not worth
the effort of authorities, never done anything illegal except a few things
nobody knows about, or, best of all, a member of a privileged caste which
is protected by a higher law for law enforcers-- like, a journalist,
or a priest, or a doctor, or a TLA herding pre-defined miscreants toward
the chute. That spooked miscreants stampede or mavericks hook a gut,
well, that's just in guns and ammo.

Watch what those dozen new CHIP units spook in the course of trying
to keep up with runaway technology. Indictments for trailing edge tech
is what is meant by "the kind of shoes you're wearing."

Herding miscreants, avoiding the hard crimes committed at justice HQs,
in order to not offend Boss, Congress, Stockholders, Voters. Mueller is
likely to be worse than Freeh in the sense that he will favor what he
thinks are his strengths and ignore his weaknesses -- hoping to mollify
those above him doing the same, that is, never ever investigate the
overseers, whisper secrets and provide perks to those who "watch the
watchers."