siege up north

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Apr 20 07:33:00 PDT 2001

    --
At 05:23 AM 4/19/2001 -0700, Blank Frank wrote:
>              Protesters have dubbed the barrier the "Wall of Shame''
>              and
>              liken to it to the Berlin Wall as a symbol of oppression
>              and
>              division.

The Berlin wall kept prisoners in.  This wall keeps attackers out.

There is an interesting, and quite deliberate, symbolic historical echo
here.  The wall for the most part runs along an old fortification, a
fortification created long ago to defend a frontier entrepot town against
attackers who wished to loot the trading post, a wall created to protect
trade against brigands and violent monopolists sponsored by hostile states.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     eKWeOZWHIbvWPAWQnxtP615cxMVrPxD/ygbZziPh
     4omFDAVSh3L9NMOsCeYqgM9oYcl2v6HviqRM4T72T

We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

http://www.jim.com/jamesd/      James A. Donald