Reading List (for the umpteenth time....)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Apr 19 23:31:45 PDT 2001

    --
At 06:15 PM 4/15/2001 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
>Some of the cypherpunks implications were that we all saw
>reputation systems as a goal that Really Made Sense,
>but also that turn out to be much harder to implement,
>even on non-fictional paper, than to describe in fiction.
>What kinds of algorithms do you use?  How do people outfox them?
>How do you deal with not only the real Detweilers,
>but with people using the kinds of pseudonym hacks that
>Detweiler was constantly ranting against, such as creating a
>bunch of pseudonyms that all give each other positive ratings
>and positive reviews of each others' articles,
>to create a bunch of reputation capital that's undeserved
>and can later be burned if needed.

Detweiler repeatedly attempted that hack in several different newsgroups
and mailing lists, and repeatedly failed.   Everyone would come to the
conclusion that he was a loon, and that anyone who agreed with him was
either a tentacle or a fellow loon.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     Pv3VXt8MhW2h1uZ9BA+Fv59WbPctS11NqXtcerY8
     4L1+qnMD9h2+0wL3xVvFr+ahYOOw2D0q2Gos3X70U

We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

http://www.jim.com/jamesd/      James A. Donald