Making the Agora Vanish | OSINT distributed haven (Intellagora)

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Thu Apr 19 11:20:08 PDT 2001

Ray Dillinger wrote:

> >Wouldn't your own reputation be blinded by a nym anyway?
>
> Nyms are not as hard as most of you seem to assume.  Each instance
> of a nym's use is more data for traffic analysis, and writing styles
> contain "signature" usages that can identify particular writers
> with a high degree of probability.

Ah, yes, traffic analysis, context analysis.  Good stuff.  There are
ways around this problem.  Solving the traffic analysis involves
having a lot of mixmasters out there.  Sad that there aren't more.

> If the probability is ever deemed high enough that a search warrant
> can issue, and your nym is involved in all kinds of illicit deals
> which are verifiable through the reputation system, then  you have
> a problem because the lions are likely to come take your favorite
> toys away, and may even put you through a "trial" like the one that
> just happened to Mr. Bell.

It also depends on how circumstantial versus how hard said evidence
is.  Sure, if you're reccomending your favorite dope dealer to
someone else, it doesn't matter how they found out that you are the
infamous B34r "McVeigh" Phr3 at k4z01d, they can get you on a possession
rap.

> Hmm.  A worthwhile hack; I should develop a program that uses the
> known techniques of identifying a writer by his/her style, and then
> create "styles" to conform to for each nym.  If I can fool my program,
> then there's at least a prayer of fooling other people's.

Been there, done that. See Medusa's Tentacles from ye ol'e Detweiler
wars:

http://www.es.embnet.org/Services/ftp/misc/Crypt/code/medusa1b.zip

(Just got it back from google.  Search for other medusa1b.zip if that
link is 404.)

Feel free to take my code and update it to something more useful than
the brainfart that it was. :)

--
 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\