Group releases "Friendly AI guidelines"

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Thu Apr 19 10:51:14 PDT 2001

Wow!

>http://www.wired.com/news/technology/1,1282,43080,00.html
>
>   Making HAL Your Pal
>   by Declan McCullagh (declan at wired.com)
>
>   2:00 a.m. Apr. 19, 2001 PDT
>
>   Eliezer Yudkowsky has devoted his young life to an undeniably unusual
>   pursuit: planning for what happens when computers become far smarter
>   than us.
>
>   [...]
>
>   One solution: Unconditional "friendliness," built into the AI as
>   surely as our genes are coded into us.

He'll probably claim to have never read I Robot.

>   "I've devoted my life to this," says Yudkowsky, a self-proclaimed
>   "genius" who lives in Atlanta and opted out of attending high school
>   and college.
>
>   Vinge is the closest thing Singularitians have to a thought leader,
>   spokesman and hero. He offers predictions based on measures of
>   technological progress such as Moore's Law, and sees the Singularity
>   as arriving between 2005 and 2030 -- though some Vinge aficionados
>   hope the possibility of uploading their brains into an immortal
>   computer is just around the corner.

Would that be L. Ron Vinge?

>   In an autobiographical essay, he writes: "I think my efforts could
>   spell the difference between life and death for most of humanity, or
>   even the difference between a Singularity and a lifeless, sterilized
>   planet... I think that I can save the world, not just because I'm the
>   one who happens to be making the effort, but because I'm the only one
>   who can make the effort."

A God complex. Way Cool. I'll bet his father was Einstein, his mother
Marie Curie. Why do I feel the name Walter Mitty should be somewhere in
this picture too. Wait, here come the men in the ice cream suits!

ROTFLMAO. This sure was a nice little break from CPU guts.

Thanks Declan,
Mike