Making the Agora Vanish

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Thu Apr 19 08:14:35 PDT 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Sampo Syreeni wrote:

>that anonymous markets develop. But I think governments have the necessary
>motivation and resources to keep them extremely marginalized.  Enough so
>that most people will never notice.

I think he's right.  The only possible way around this one would be
to have a substantial fraction of *ALL* traffic encrypted.  The day
that Homer Husband and Harriet Housewife routinely exchange mail that
is encrypted and undistinguishable from the mail that the players in
your "anonymous markets" exchange, the anonymous markets will have a
chance of going undetected.

And you know what?  Homer and Harriet ain't going there, 'cause key
management and crypto software is still a pain in the tush and they
still don't know anybody's listening.

				Bear