The Culture of Secrecy, Disinformation, and , Propaganda...

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Apr 18 05:27:22 PDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Bill Stewart wrote:

> I don't know if Jim meant to send that reply about Usenet;
> the sentence was chopped off in the middle, just after the
> glaring incorrectness :-)

> Jim Choate replied to Ray Dillinger:
>
>  > > Usenet is an example of a system which is fully distributed.
>  > Actually this has the same limitations as the 'Napster' model,
>  > it requires a centralized

Ah, not sure why that did that...

But, more to the point - you shouldn't try to read minds and draw
conclusions from sentence fragments. You are not a good mind reader.

.... a centralized group of servers to distributed not only content but
the indexes. The only real distinction between the two is where the
content resides, not a significant distiction since the system still has
centralized servers.

But more importantly the original claim which you just jumped right over
about the intellectual property being somehow different between USENET and
Napster and that if Napster fell down it would take significantly longer
to recover than USENET is simply bogus.

More 'let's give Jim shit because he keeps poking holes in our favorite
thoeries' than 'stick to the topic at hand'.

            The ultimate authority...resides in the people alone.

                                             James Madison

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com