Pleading the 5th

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Apr 16 16:59:06 PDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 02:45:03PM -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
> Yes, you did. You specificaly said that posts through the CDR were
> implicitly usable for commercial use (ie your using them in a article)
> without permission or other contact to the author. You also compared it to

No, I said there was some implicit license to redistribute and
republish as online archives, etc. I didn't say (and don't think) that
license should extend to -- the example I gave -- publishing the posts
in book form.

The point you fail to grasp is that journalists have fairly broad leeway
to make fair use of posts here, whether you like it or not.

-Declan