The Theory of the corporation

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Mon Apr 16 13:06:51 PDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> This badly misrepresents, or misunderstands, what "coercion" is when
> most of the rest of us talk about it.

I haven't misrepresented anything. You've never defined it. I just assumed
you were speaking english.

Clearly my mistake, I keep forgetting you're like Tim; always re-defining
what a word or term means and then not telling anyone. Then when they use
it in some way that you don't like it's 'their' failure.

Coerce - from L. coercere, 'to restrain', in modern usage it means
something along the lines of 'to compel or dominate by force or threat'.

> Hint: It has to do with the initiation of force, often through the
> application of government power, not with your mother saying "you'd
> better look nice for dinner tonight with Great-Aunt Suzie."

'force' has no requirement to be physical, any more than 'violence' does.

What you're doing is using a very restricted definition to mean 'physical
force' or 'physical consequence'. Unfortunately this isn't a broad enough
definition to be useful. To claim that psychological coercion is of no
consequence, as your statement implies means that it is you and folks who
use your definition who are missing the bigger picture/problem.

The crypto-anarchy claim that if we'd only get rid of government coercion
all will be good is the real view that doesn't get it.

            The ultimate authority...resides in the people alone.

                                             James Madison

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com