Message from a Parallel Universe

Phillip H. Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Mon Apr 16 10:25:13 PDT 2001

agreed with the liberal use of the phrase "perceived value" when referring
to transaction motivations...this is exactly the basis for equities markets.
A company is not "worth $8.1Bn"...the "perceived value" of a company may be
$8.1Bn.  A company is technically worth two things: a) the physical assets
at current fair market price (assuming liquidation of assets) and b)
projected value of intellectual property, market momentum, customer lists,
marketing program efficacy, team competency, projected sales, and other
intangible items.  The latter of the two is what defines the market cap of
companies.

Tim, you recommended we search out for your prior articles...I've done that
and found a couple of things (the '97 conference paper on this topic was
most relevant) but I couldn't find a whole lot...please provide an url if
you have one... after reading what I did find, I've come to the conclusion
that "reputation" is not necessarily an issue for certain kinds of
transactions...I believe it's useful to define when/where reputation means a
lot:

- If i'm hiring a painter or plumber, referrals mean a lot.  anyone can push
a pain roller.  few of us know how to do it well.
- If i'm hiring a contract programmer...past work and working relationships
matter.

Where reputation of a transactive party doesn't realy mean a lot (or means
little):

- napster.  I don't care who has the song I'm looking for...i'd download
from anyone (given the right bit rate, ping distance, connection type, etc.)
The product quality is judged by itself and my only potential 'downside' is
having spent a little time downloading a poorly encoded file...in which case
i delete the bad file and find someone else who has what i'm looking for.
- real life humint.  in this case, knowing the person is helpful, but not
important.  the key important factors are: a) is the intelligence valuable?
b) can it be verified via other sources? c) can i act on the intelligence
when i'm ready to act? d) can i control the information source?  in this
case you're necessarily dealing with people who you wouldn't trust by
definition.  the value of the relationship is maintained by how quickly the
contact is paid (unless ideologically motivated) and how consistently that
contact delivers.  but rating this information source is only useful to me
and my organization...i wouldn't share this information with a third party
'reputation credit system'.  I'm not a spy or a counter-spy so I'm only
guessing at these statements...but i think logically the above is true.
- when using an intermediary party to ensure the transaction terms were met.
in this case, the reputation of the transaction party is not important, it's
the reputation of the 3rd party intermediary.  and i don't believe this
means an "escrow" agent...it could be the financial institution guaranteeing
the funds (sort of like a letter of credit, but with verification of the
transaction details done by the bank.)  perhaps this means we would need to
have a new kind of 'bank' (or many banks) whose digital currency
incorporates triggers to ensure a transaction is completely smoothly and to
the favor of both parties (not sure how to deal with disputes though.)
- when the perceived value of the item is less than my level of acceptable
risk tolerance.  If i'm buying gum, I really don't care if i buy it from one
store or another.  i see the gum packaging looks right, the price is in the
right ballpark, then i buy it.

one other point:

the issues with "reputation credit reporting", etc. are being experienced in
some degree by ebay:

- ebay allows one to rate buyers/sellers.  if you receive negative feedback
for unfair reasons, you're stuck with that negative feedback...you can't
force ebay to change the feedback.
- ebay sellers will sometimes not sell to someone who is new or has no
feedback.  this encourages people to give each other positive feedback to
falsify their 'good reputation'.

finally, i think Tim's logic is right: don't try to come up with a complete
overhaul to the existing monetary system, just focus on the incremental
pieces.  in my opinion, infomarkets are the first best step...they're
digital, portable, somewhat protectable, and have value.

phillip