Reading List (for the umpteenth time....)

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Apr 15 18:15:01 PDT 2001

At 05:14 PM 04/15/2001 -0700, Kevin Elliott wrote:
>At 15:14 -0700  on  4/15/01, Tim May wrote:
>>* Orson Scott Card, "Ender's Game." Kids using untraceable pseudonyms.
>
>Huh?  Excellent book but I don't recall it having the slightest mention
>of anything remotely applicable to the current thread... Care to refresh
>my memory?

The book wasn't just about Ender being raised to be the Last Bugkiller.
Much of the activity was Ender's brother and sister
carrying on conversations on The Net, with multi-layered
reputation systems affecting who got invited to speak
on particular mailing lists, who got listened to, etc.

Some of the cypherpunks implications were that we all saw
reputation systems as a goal that Really Made Sense,
but also that turn out to be much harder to implement,
even on non-fictional paper, than to describe in fiction.
What kinds of algorithms do you use?  How do people outfox them?
How do you deal with not only the real Detweilers,
but with people using the kinds of pseudonym hacks that
Detweiler was constantly ranting against, such as creating a
bunch of pseudonyms that all give each other positive ratings
and positive reviews of each others' articles,
to create a bunch of reputation capital that's undeserved
and can later be burned if needed.

And what are the chances that Tim's email filters still
toss out discussions about Detweiler?  :-)