making the agora vanish

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Sun Apr 15 17:45:27 PDT 2001

Okay, as some have pointed out, I've been a little too flip
in assuming that people's nyms will "vanish" if they get into
real trouble.

It's true that nyms like "Pr0duct Cypher", which represent
the authorship claim to years of code and writing, are not
going to be abandoned over a $10 transaction, and if P. Cypher
were to put that nym on the line for a deal, I wouldn't hesitate
to accept it.

The problem arises because the means of building reputation
are so utterly ill-defined.  Having read P. Cypher's list
contributions and software, and having a public key to
check his/her/their signatures against, suffices in an
individual case.

But commerce - large, heavy, routine commerce between relative
strangers, which is the fundamental strength of our markets,
requires there to be some standard format or method of
presenting reputation capital that can be checked.  The only
thing I can think of is a set of endorsements verifying deals
done already.  But that is exactly the information that most
of you say you don't want disclosed.

Escrow agents and reputation agents definitely help -- they
can overcome a lot of difficulties involving who gets paid
what and when.  But now you've got a third party in your deal,
charging vigorish when one of your main hopes was to get away
from the tax man charging vigorish.

				Bear