Making the Agora Vanish | OSINT distributed haven (Intellagora)

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Sun Apr 15 11:11:14 PDT 2001

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Aimee Farr wrote:

>That is an over-simplification, but yes. Intelligence is not headlines. To a
>large extent, "what's happening" is not analyzed correctly, because the
>intelligence community lacks sufficient expert analysis to cope with the
>dataload. This capability is in the private sector. These information flows,
>between the government sector and the private sector, are unmapped.

This is not true any more.  The automated analysis of trawled data has
advanced considerably beyond keyword searching at this point; there are
programs out there now specifically looking for much more subtle and
complicated things, which were formerly the domain of intelligence
analyists, and they are actually pretty damn good.  The simple keyword
searchers and keyphrase searchers you hear about with echelon are only
the front line; they pass their data back to much more sophisticated
AI programs that analyze content, and synthesize information gleaned
from massive numbers of such missives.

Every time a situation like the Aum Shenrikyo (spelled?) subway
attack happens, if the automated analysis suite didn't point it
out first, human analysts come in and check out the dataflows
that ran before it and around it, and create a new auto-analysis
program.  And then later, when another group that has anything
like the same rhetoric and seems to be going through the same
logistical steps pops up, the auto-analysis finds it without human
help.

I do not speak of specific known programs here; but my primary
background is in AI and expert systems, and I can state unequivocally
that intelligence analysis funded most of the research in the field
for a very long time, and that programs such as I described above
are well within the current state of the art.  It is unusual for
them to be deployed very widely in private industry because in
private industry there is a real problem of retaining personnel
with the proper expertise to work on them.  They tend to be delicate
in their operation -- you go to make a minor change in the data
or the rules or the schemas and the performance of all other parts
of the system degrades unless you are extremely careful, well-trained,
and, let's face it, consistently just plain smarter than normal people.
But when they are in tune, and their vocabulary tables are up-to-date,
they are highly accurate.

The problem of keeping these systems in tune is what drives most
practical AI research today; the systems are effective, but brittle
and unable to cope with subtle changes and variations very well.
"Fuzzy" approaches like ANN's and Genetic Algorithms are attempts
to get past this problem by making self-adjusting systems, but the
volumes of data required to get self-adjustment working using such
approaches are a problem; you'd have to have data from  hundreds
of Aum Shenrikyo type attacks before your GA or ANN really had a
good chance of picking out what parts of the dataflow were relevant.

So here's my speculation: human analysts are probably called in only
after something takes the automatic tools by surprise, or when there
is an administrative need for specific analysis that the automatic
tools do not provide.

				Bear