New York Times Mentions Matthew (Critic) Gaylor

Matthew Gaylor freematt at coil.com
Sat Apr 14 20:30:22 PDT 2001

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/13/technology/13CYBERLAW.html

Carl S. Kaplan in the NYT wrote:
>Recently, a critic e-mailed Sunstein, pointing out that the
>professor's own academic Web site at the University of Chicago did
>not offer links to other thinkers. Sunstein concedes the point. In
>the spirit of democracy, he said that within a week or so his Web
>site will link to the works of Richard Epstein, a libertarian legal
>scholar at the University of Chicago Law School and Catharine A.
>MacKinnon, a feminist theorist at the University of Michigan Law
>School.

CARL S. KAPLAN has an article in the April 13, 2001 New York Time's
CYBER LAW JOURNAL: "Law Professor Sees Hazard in Personalized News"
which is an overview of Cass Sunstein's theories as contained in his
book Republic.com.

Sunstein has a theory in his book "Republic.com" that the Internet
allows a "Daily Me" phenomenon where users isolate themselves and
watch, read, and communicate only with those who they agree with.
This in turn will cause a move towards more extreme viewpoints and
less tolerance.  As a solution to his imagined problem, he first
wants web sites to link to "opposing" viewpoints voluntarily. And
here is a direct quote from Sunstein: "If these routes do not work,
it would be worthwhile considering content-neutral regulation,
designed to ensure more in the way of both links and hyperlinks."

In other words Sunstein wants to force opinion journals like "The
National Review" (An example he uses) to carry "opposing viewpoint"
links and hyperlinks.  Needless to say, I first thought his theory of
the problem was flawed, as anyone who has spent anytime online can
testify.  And I found it idiotic in the extreme that Sunstein thinks
the government could be trusted to implement "opposing viewpoint
links" fairly.  Can you imagine the time wasted trying to satisfy
this new bureaucracy that will have to be created to govern which
links get chosen?  Which also does raise the question of who gets to
decide what an opposing viewpoint is?  Some issues have multiple
opposing viewpoints.  Couldn't you imagine the political
ramifications of his plan?  Perhaps the government would only allow
legally established parties to be considered as an "opposing view" on
political web sites?  Or should a Black oriented civil rights site be
legally required to carry KKK or other racist links?

In addition, Sunstein hasn't explained why his theory should or
shouldn't apply to print books and magazines?  Could you imagine the
mess that would cause?  His theory seems antithetical to private
choice and free speech.

Naturally, when I first visited Sunstein's Web site at the University
of Chicago http://home.uchicago.edu/~csunstei/, I saw no links to
opposing viewpoints.  Since there isn't anybody much worse in my book
than a hypocrite, I wrote the professor and requested he add links to
opposing viewpoints.   I did this in Princeton Press's online book
forum located at: http://pup.princeton.edu/sunstein/ under the forum
topic: "Why not practice what you preach".

I found it troubling that I had to publicly confront Sunstein to get
him to test his theory voluntarily, for a theory he thinks should be
enforced by law.  But I'm happy that teaching by example is something
that Sunstein is apparently willing to try.

You can read my Review of Republic.com in the April issue of The
Ethical Spectacle http://www.spectacle.org/.

Regards,  Matt-