Making the Agora Vanish | OSINT distributed haven (Intellagora)

Matthew Gaylor freematt at coil.com
Fri Apr 13 18:26:57 PDT 2001

Tim May <tcmay at got.net> wrote:
>The "Analyst" project at the CIA, for example, has been going on
>since at least the early 80s, monitoring publically visible (and
>perhaps less visible stuff gotten from the NSA, DIA, NRO, etc.)
>material.
>
>We knew by 1993 that the NSA and CIA had folks reading our list...I
>talked to a couple of these readers at the Hackers Conference in
>Lake Tahoe and at a conference at Asilomar.

My personal rule of thumb is that I don't say anything both online
and off that I wouldn't mind seeing on the front page of the local
paper.  I can remember being at a CFP a few years ago and having some
beer and pretzels with some guys from the CIA who read my list.  Then
later I went to a party at Declan's home and ran into a few more Feds
and they commented on how much they liked my list.  My general
impressions-  The CIA and NSA people were bright and on the ball but
the FBI guys seemed more like your run of the mill cop types.  The
Custom's guy seemed alright too, we walked out together and as we
were walking down the street (In Washington, DC at night- Declan's
'hood seemed safe enough) I noticed he had a fanny pack on.  I
commented that at least we'd be safe if attacked-  But he opened it
up and just showed me his badge and wallet.  He said left his gun at
home as it was too heavy to carry around.

I thought everybody knew the feds read this stuff?

Regards,  Matt-