GPS bugs (was: Jim Bell Trial: Third Day (fwd))

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Apr 13 17:48:17 PDT 2001

Right. There was some discussion of "military uses this device"
during direct exam, but the prosecutor was tech-clueless and so was the
witness, beyond standard drudge insert-device-here skills, so I wouldn't
rely on them. See my Wired article, easily ref'd at cluebot.com, for
exact quotes.

My sole exchange of words with Jeff Gordon during the entire trial came
during this time. I asked him whether it was military grade and he
backed away, channeling bubonic plague vibes, and said he couldn't
-- probably meant wouldn't -- answer the question. Fled for the safety
of the prosecution's counsel table, where he is an honorary lawyer, you see.

-Declan