The Theory of the corporation

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Apr 13 16:58:28 PDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, John Sheehy wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, V. Alex Brennen wrote:
>

>These barriers have gotten worse throughout history. In the 18th Century one
>could challenge a "protection provider" through direct action with muskets
>and little else. Today one needs significantly more resources (advanced
>weaponry -- RPGs, SAMs, etc) to effectively challenge a 'protection
>provider' through direct action.

It's not so much about weaponry, I don't think.  It's about
organization and communication.  Muskets, in the hands of people
who actually know where to point them and when, are still just
as effective against mafia (et al) as they have always been.

But it has become far more difficult to keep track of where to
point them and when -- partly as a result of advances in surveillance
and the availability of information about people that is beyond their
physical control, threats against an individual can originate from
far more quarters and in far more ways than ever before.

These days I don't think of physical weapons as the appropriate
tools of the revolutionary.  And face it; the "barriers to entry"
are sufficiently large that they cannot practically be overcome
on that score.  If you go pointing guns at government types, or
even mere mafiosi, then sooner or later you will die. Because
of the immediate response to weapons, the only resources you will
take down first are those defined as expendable - police officers,
treasury agents, low-level legbreakers, whatever.  These are
resources that the organization can replace instantly and painlessly,
and which will not cause it any real pain.

But these organizations have hierarchies.  Because they are not
fully distributed, there are resources within each organization
that serve a role or function, or have privelege, that is not
the same as that of other resources.  If you pick things that
are extremely hard to replace, and things in the absence of which
the system will not function, then a very few moves can cripple
the organization.  Sometimes such moves can be made with a musket,
if one has sufficient intel. But just as often a pen or a camera
or a tape recorder will do.

>Ideally, governments need to be decoupled from geographical territories, so
>that an individual has a freedom to exercise their right to choose the best
>government no matter where she is located.

You are not speaking of government-as-we-know-it.  You are speaking
of something which you envision that may replace government.

				Bear