The Theory of the corporation

brainteaser brainteaser at subdimension.com
Thu Apr 12 16:25:33 PDT 2001

Thats one thing I don't get about what (many) people post on this list.
There is a lot of shit about the government did this and federal agents
are doing that, but very little about what corporations do. Partly this
is probably because of some sort of a "the market must be right"
mentality, even though as I see it we are a long way from any sort of
a free market (I see IP law as we have it as a hindrancxe to the free
market).

Anyway to my point, one pet hate a lot of people seem to have is
surveillance cameras. The fact is surveillance cameras exist, and people
see they serve a useful purpose. My issue with them is not that the
government control them, but that the government don't control them,
security firms do. The ideal would be if they were controlled openly at a
level far below government, say each street employs their own camera
monitor. But thats all irrelevant cos if anyone really has a reason to
put up a secret camera they can, and they don't have to tell you about
it.

If I had a need personally for secure anonymity my threat model would be
1) whoever Im hiding from, 2) interested corporations, with government
running a distant third.