GPS bugs (was: Jim Bell Trial: Third Day (fwd))

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Thu Apr 12 16:04:36 PDT 2001

auto211076 at hushmail.com wrote:

> Other speculation was that it might have been inside a vinyl bumper.

Ah, yes, that would be another place. :)

> Gordon's testimony was that it was a continuously-transmitting bug.  Which
> of course brought up the question of the power supply.

I've read that bit later on, that it would beep him if he got out of a specific
range.

I think you could wire up a bug to whatever recharges the battery and have the
bug recharge it's batteries that way..  that would of course increase the
size.  I'm just theorizing on bug design of course... :)

> The power supply was a considerable source of speculation.  If the bug had
> been attached to the battery, then it would have been much more detectable.
> Stories had it that Bell had checked under the hood; it would not take
> more than a VOM to detect a discharge.

Sure.  So if the question is that the bug would beep Gordon when Bell got
out of a certain radius, then the car was running, hence you wouldn't have
to drain the battery constantly.  And they claim the bug was constantly
transmitting.  That's a pretty stupid way to implement a bug as at that
point you could sweep for it.  But who knows what kind of spread spectrum
send a burst/chirp for 1ms every two minutes kind of bug it would be? :)

> There was no discussion of military bits vs. civilian bits, rather military
> grade vs. civilian grade.

Um, yes, military grade versus civilian grade GPS.  My question now is
are the bits of mil GPS info transmitted at the same frequencies as the
civilian bits of data which are randomized?  If they're different, then
a GPS jammer would have to spit junk out on both sets.

> If you weren't on the radar before, you are now.
>
> So are you planning on rooming with Jim or C.J.?

Guy gets out of bar slurring his speech, scrambles around walking out of
balance.  Goes to his car after many burps and hicckups, tries to insert
his key into the lock and misses several times, gets it open, turns on
the engine and starts to drive.  Cop pulls him over, administers
breathalizer test.  Cop is surprised to find the guy has a blood alcohol
level of zero. "How's that possible he asks the guy?"  Guy answers
"I'm tonight's designated decoy."   (This was a cartoon somewhere.)

So, yeah, I'm tonight's designated decoy.  Let the feds monitor me
scratching my butt, watching cartoons and burping, while the next Jim
Bell does whatever it is he is doing. :)

I suppose they could charge me with wasting taxpayer money, but hey,
I didn't invent that racket.

--
 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\