GPS bugs (was: Jim Bell Trial: Third Day (fwd))

Subcommander Bob bob at farc.org
Thu Apr 12 17:50:46 PDT 2001

At 07:22 PM 4/11/01 -0800, auto211076 at hushmail.com wrote:
>> From what little I know of GPS, the receiver [sic --antenna] must be
able to "see sky."
>Other speculation was that it might have been inside a vinyl bumper.

Also you should think patch (ie flat) antennae as a possibility.

>Gordon's testimony was that it was a continuously-transmitting bug.
Which
>of course brought up the question of the power supply.

Second rate equiptment.  Even the russians have burst-bugs now.

>The bug transmitted on an RF frequency.  Bell had mentioned to friends
that
>he believed that he had been bugged, but lacking an RF frequency
analyzer,
> he had been unable to find the bug.  He apparently was concerned that
both
>his house and car were bugged.  Although why he didn't hire the
services
>of a "bug-sweeper" is beyond me.

Didn't Bell use a field strenth meter (output to vibrator in pocket)
to direction-find the spook in the Libertarian Party meetings?

>The power supply was a considerable source of speculation.  If the bug
had
>been attached to the battery, then it would have been much more
detectable.
> Stories had it that Bell had checked under the hood; it would not take

>more than a VOM to detect a discharge.

The picture of Gerry Adams holding the GPS bug that MI-5 planted in his
car last
year (during a truce, heh) shows a rectangular box about the size of a
man's forearm;
this could hold plenty of joules.  A motion sensor would be pretty
clever for
waking the thing from sleep mode, to conserve power.

Sounds like the Ultranoids need to monitor the weight of their car
before
operating.

>If you weren't on the radar before, you are now.
>
>So are you planning on rooming with Jim or C.J.?

Jim sounds moody; does CJ's tourettes' really make him spit,
or did the Mountie deserve it (or both)?