Pleading the 5th

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Apr 12 13:00:13 PDT 2001

Choate has given an implied consent for his posts to be redistributed
in certain ways. Much as Usenet participants do. He has probably
not given consent for all of his posts to be combined and sold by
Wired as a book (of course this is just a hypothetical, nobody would
buy it).

Choate, however, would have a very weak case if I was to reproduce
one of his posts in a Wired article. Copyright law, as the lawyers
can attest, includes many factors a court would weigh, and he'd
almost certainly lose.

So be careful before agreeing with our resident tentacle.

-Declan