ICC's problem with the Internet

Greg Broiles gbroiles at well.com
Thu Apr 12 10:36:09 PDT 2001

According to the article at
<http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010412/wr/tech_fraud_dc_1.html>, the
International Chamber of Commerce's Commercial Crime Bureau and Cybercrime
Unit - which apparently "polices all financial and intellectual property
rights breaches on the Internet" - has identified "the problem with the
Internet", specifically -

"The problem with the Net is that it is not secure because Internet service
providers don't run identity checks on their clients . . . [i]t is very
easy to set up an email account and web page on an ISP offering free web
space and no checks are done on the people setting them up."

That's funny. I was just thinking that the problem with the Internet is
that it gives every control freak with a tinfoil badge and an AOL account
the idea that they ought to "police" people and things they've never seen
or heard of.

--
Greg Broiles
gbroiles at well.com
"Organized crime is the price we pay for organization." -- Raymond Chandler