Pleading the 5th

Daniel J. Boone djb at gci.net
Wed Apr 11 17:52:48 PDT 2001

Declan wrote:

> Tim's point is on-target. Read up on freedom to contract.

Been there, done that, have the law degree on my wall to prove it.  My views on
contract law could conceivably be incorrect, but they are not uninformed.

> See also examples like Yahoo-Geocities a few years back, claiming
> IP rights in posts to its site (then abandoned, but that was due to
> PR outcry, not to lack of enforceable contract).

How do you know?  It was never litigated.  I have an opinion on what the
outcome of that litigation would have been, but I can't prove my view any more
than you can prove yours.

By the way, thanks for the good reporting on the Bell trial.  I have found it a
fascinating if dismaying read, and I appreciate the effort you've put into it.

-- Daniel