Pleading the 5th

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Wed Apr 11 14:09:50 PDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Daniel J. Boone wrote:

> List owners have nothing to do with, and cannot affect, the intellectual
> property rights of list contributors.  Your aspirations to the contrary
> notwithstanding.

Actually they can if there is a contract that requires it and you as a IP
owner sign it. For example, what I had originaly intended to do with the
SSZ node was to 'authenticate' each submission. That means the software
sends it to the list owner for verification. At that point a contract
between myself and each subscriber would have specifically, and
individualy, converted each submission to SSZ to public domain. It would
have used digital signatures for post authentication of the contract if
there were a disagreement at a later time.

Currently you are correct, there are no stipulations of transfer of IP
related to participating in the CDR. I now believe that is the best
policy.

       To speak algebraically, Mr. M. is execrable, but Mr. G. is
       (x+1)-ecrable.
                                         Edgar Allan Poe

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com