Matt- seeking info on U.N. Summit on Guns

Jim Bovard jbovard at his.com
Wed Apr 11 12:43:58 PDT 2001

Matt:
I wonder if I could impose on you to post a request for info to your
amazingly well-informed list members on the UN Global Firearms
Summit.  Your previous posting of my request for help on the SWAT
article for Playboy was immensely helpful.
Thanks!
Jim

XXXX
I am a journalist working on a magazine article on the United Nations
Global Firearms Summit scheduled for July in New York.  A recent
United Nations video, "Armed to the Teeth: The Worldwide Plague of
Small Arms," declared, "Small arms are not fussy about the company
they keep. They're constantly traveling from conflict to conflict,
and they can murder indiscriminately."

Such statements have raised concerns about whether the summit could
be a stepping stone towards an international agreement to restrict
private gun ownership.

I am seeking information on the following:

1) Any details or other information on what will happen at the summit
and the impact the summit might have on the rights of civilian gun
ownership

2) Statements by the United Nations in the past regarding citizens'
right to own firearms

3) Statements, positions, or actions on civilians' right to own guns
by some of the key attendees or foreign governments involved in the
summit

I would be much obliged for any hard facts or solid quotes anyone
could provide.

Thanks,
Jim Bovard
jbovard at his.com