Screwing Jim Bell and Cypherpunks

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Apr 10 11:08:39 PDT 2001

At 9:51 AM -0700 4/10/01, Eric Cordian wrote:
>DCF wrote:
>
>>  Save that the Feds have no interest in proceeding against any list
>>  posters with cash and brains (or perhaps self-control).
>
>I think the Bell case indicates the need for Cypherpunks to start writing
>code again, and stop engaging in meatspace theatrics.

First, Bell's actions are not the actions of most members of this
mailing list. Frankly, this is a logical error: referring to
"Cypherpunks" as a collective entity and then imputing the views or
actions of a few to be the views or actions of the collective entity.
The government does this routinely.

>Then no one would be on trial, and there wouldn't be a thing any
>government could do to stop it.

Second, talk to Phil Z. and Kelly G. about their legal issues for
several years, as the government sought to prosecute one or both of
them for violations of the ITARs (and maybe more). True, neither was
ultimately charged. Their legal bills were substantial, however, and
they could have face prison time and massive fines.

Whatever people do in the way of writing code, doing it as near to
untraceably as possible would seem to be the way to go.

--Tim May
--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns