p-adic chaos in random number generation: reference materials avail?

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon Apr 9 15:40:39 PDT 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Phillip H. Zakas wrote:

> continuing my braid group theory/crypto research (see my jan. thread)...am
> now working on problems of random number generation.  i've only recently
> begun to explore p-adics, in the context of applying p-adic chaos to random
> number generation. however i'm stretching the limits of my amateur
> mathematics background and would appreciate help in finding (what I can't
> seem to find myself): online and offline introduction to p-adics.

Check out a new book about the 'future of math'...

Mathematics Unlimited - 2001 and beyonde
ed. B. Engquist, W. Schmid
ISBN 3-540-66913-2
$45 US

The book is meant as a survey for grad students and practicing
mathematicians of the current 'hot' topics in mathematics. I'd do the ToC
but it's like 60+ chapters...

There is a chapter on "The p-adic L-Functions of Modular Elliptic Curves"
by Massimo Bertolini & Henri Darmon.

There's also a chapter by Koblitz on crypto and one on quantum crypto by
Jozef Grusak.

       To speak algebraically, Mr. M. is execrable, but Mr. G. is
       (x+1)-ecrable.
                                         Edgar Allan Poe

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com