international cypherpunk force

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Apr 9 03:16:51 PDT 2001

There must be a big delay in the remailer. This is a week late. It
should have been the first of April.

Nomen Nescio wrote:

> There was an interesting proposal by Dave Del Torto yesterday at SFBAY
> cypherpunk meeting. He suggested that cypherpunks were, sort of, invited
> to help a newly founded international police force. These guys help the
> international court of justice, and track down criminals like Milosevic,
> bin Laden and others. In their investigations they need strong crypto,
> because sometimes they operate in the hostile environments.
>
> If any cypherpunk needs a get-out-of-jail pass, this is the chance to
> earn one.
>
> Volunteers should contact Dave.

At the risk of taking things seriously which were meant as trolls -

If so-called cypherpunks (there is no movement) have any self-proclaimed
expertise it is in using computers for communications and cryptography.
I think that many governments already know how to do that. Two or three
of them are quite good at it.

And what is this "track down" of which you speak? The US government (&
probably the Russian & the British as well, and I wouldn't put it past
the Indians or even the Chinese) probably know exactly where bin Laden
is this week. Everybody knows exactly where Milosevic is supposed to be
- in the best room in the best jail in Belgrade.  Cypherpunks (who
aren't a movement) write code (or once said they did). You're going to
get him out by your expert declarative coding techniques? And which side
are you on anyway? Why should someone,  just because they are a
cypherpunk, (Sorry, just because they think in a cypherpunkly way
sometimes - there are no such things as cypherpunks, there is no
movement) why should they want to track down bin Laden anyway? Maybe
some of them approve of rich businessmen who hole up in the hills
somewhere with a lot of guns and money, ignore the State, and plot
against the US government? Maybe some cypherpunks are Taliban,  maybe
some are nationalist Serbs, maybe some are loonies, maybe some just have
a fetish about guns & like to see them used (especially on someone
else). Why assume what side these guys are on?

Anyway, at least a few of you guys are anarchists. It is obviously an
appropriate thing for anarchists to be helping your government impose
their will on foreigners. It just goes with the territory, right?
Famous supporters of neocolonialism, those anarchists.  Always putting
on uniforms and obeying orders and marching off to some foreign country
to napalm the natives. Pay no attention to the  wizard. It is the
anarchists behind the curtain who are really running the deal.

Ken

Cypherpunks: there is no movement, as the Pope's friends said to
Galileo.