Cypherpunks asked to help ICC with strong crypto

Phillip H. Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Sun Apr 8 22:01:27 PDT 2001

the contrarian in me says:
this is a bizarre request.  the us and uk govs are already assisting both in
the tracking (physical and asset) and 'acquisition' of suspected criminals
(remember most of the serb suspects were captured by non-serb troops.)  i
suspect the us and uk would be quite interested in hearing the icc is
seeking assistance from an informal political/social crypto group in matters
of crypto...unless the icc doesn't trust the us and the uk (contradicting
the cooperation the icc has received from these countries.)  why would the
icc need strong crypto?  and having come from an NGO myself (the imf) i'm
not sure they would trust a social/policital group like cypherpunks.  or
maybe i'm completely wrong of course.

on the other hand:
perhaps the icc is seeking neutral crypto capabilities to maintain a level
of comfort that they won't be hampered by us/european political influences
as they perform their work. i hope whoever helps is more than an amateur
crypto expert though...i'm sure the work will require a little more than
applying AES to e-mails.  they will want/need secure communications
protocols (digital and procedural), trusted operating systems,
communications medium expertise, local communications infrastructure
expertise, banking and host nation information database familiarity, etc.
this is an entire team of people and in this case they have to be good
enough to stand up to the likes of the nsa, cia, mi-5, mi-6, russian
intelligence (i could go on for paragraphs). an interesting challenge to be
sure, but a significant challenge.

phillip