international cypherpunk force

aimee.farr at freedom.net aimee.farr at freedom.net
Sun Apr 8 15:44:08 PDT 2001

Morlock Elloi wrote:

> ... the Infiltration Department really
> needs some professionals.

I could be wrong, but ...that post seemed crafted to fish for a negative
response. C'mon..."Hey, Cypherpunks! Support the international police
force!" (?)... Characterizing the ICC as an "international police force?" As
investigatory and operating in hostile environments? That seems slightly
inflammatory.

Crypto can serve an important role in human rights activities - I support
that, but I can't say that I support the ICC at this point. Sovereignty is
an important concept for data/freedom/privacy havens, and "world government"
seems to be adopting "unfair sovereign competition" rules.

"UN" ICC FACT SHEET @
gopher://gopher.igc.apc.org/00/orgs/icc/undocs/faq_dpi.txt

Can a citizen be prosecuted from a country that is not party to the
agreement establishing the Court?
Yes, provided the country where the alleged crimes occurred is a State Party
or the UN Security Council refers the case to the Court. However, under the
principle of complementarity, the Court will act only if the national court
of the accused does not prosecute him or her.
<snip>

"Complementarity?"

~Aimee