Pleading the 5th

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sat Apr 7 07:10:26 PDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Reese wrote:

> Napster has a problem because what they are holding was initially purchased
> by someone, who then violated the copyright notice by .mp3 encoding it and
> uploading/making it available.  They are a more lucrative target than the
> millions of somebodies, so they were targeted by the RIAA.
>
> OTOH, I didn't pay you for your email I have on my hard drive, and I see
> no copyright notice on it.  I think I'll send it to a couple different
> places.

A copyright notice isn't required to copyright a work. It's automatic.
Moot point.

Napster has a problem because they're distributing work that belongs to
somebody else.

Consider this, do you own the music on a CD that you purchase? No.

       We have to hate our immediate predecessors to get free of their
       authority.
                                               D.H. Lawrence

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com