Pleading the 5th

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Fri Apr 6 14:55:03 PDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> You would have a valid point if the Beasty Boys were in the habit of
> sending MP3s of their latest hits to cypherpunks.

What the hell does 'cypherpunks' have to do with it?

Come on, spell it out...

'implied consent'? Where? Who says? You? You don't speak for me, and I
certainly never gave consent, implied or otherwise, and I operate one of
the nodes. If anyone has a 'right' to decide what the policies are or
aren't it's the people operating the nodes. Not the users.

No, there is no 'implied' anything. Certainly nothing that can be
construed to mean that every piece of material sent to this list is in the
public domain.

Your claim is equivalent to saying if somebody comes and talks about their
technology at one of the physical meet they are 'implicitly' giving
permission to use.

Not.

Simply because a discussion is 'public' doesn't make it 'public domain'.

       We have to hate our immediate predecessors to get free of their
       authority.
                                               D.H. Lawrence

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com