Jeff Gordon, Usenet, and the cypherpunks mailing list

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Thu Apr 5 18:26:43 PDT 2001

Declan said:

> My suspicion is that it's just *easier* to monitor cypherpunks, and even
> tech-impaired IRS agents can figure out majordomo. Usenet takes
> more effort
> -- it's why I don't read it anymore -- and perhaps things would have been
> far different if the list went the alt.* route after the Great List Storm
> of '97.

Cypherpunks is a *heavy* open source intelligence proposition.

"Broad daylight" is actually valid CI strategy since certain bodies seem
mainly to be interested in all things secret... stuck in pre-information age
intelligence strategies (channeling Steele). Being "ultra-secret" is a damn
bad idea if you're trying avoid unwarranted and hypersensitive attention. A
*very* smart call in the beginning, I think. There is something to be said
about standing in an open field.

Still, seems like you could "do some things" -- at least to avoid undue &
unfair mischaracterization. I really don't want to be associated with the
"help-me-make-bombz/hack/hurt" troll people. (I realize opinions differ,
okay.) I also think the archives are very rich. [FN1]

Meek sheeple opinion. Baaa.

~Aimee

[1.] You could do remote Meyer-Briggs in there.