Needing a law degree for the Constitution

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Apr 4 19:55:23 PDT 2001

When you're a defendant.

Because I wouldn't answer questions, I got off the stand very quickly.

John Young didn't have an attorney sitting a few feet away who was
from a large law firm and ready to file an emergency appeal to the 9th
Circuit, and he spent far longer on the stand. He authenticated
email, responded to questions about his posts to cypherpunks,
etc. that he wouldn't have had to if he claimed a journalist's
privilege.

This is not to say that John did anything but take a principled stand.
When Robb London insisted that Carl Johnson set up a working AP bot,
John stuck to his "spoof" line. His testimony probably helped the defense
more than the prosecution.

-Declan