Affording an attorney...

auto211076 at hushmail.com auto211076 at hushmail.com
Wed Apr 4 12:59:28 PDT 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:23:33 -0400, Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 06:28:22PM -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
> > (A quick read of Declan's description of one day of the trial sounded
> > like Bell's counsel was trying to help, perhaps competently, and helping
> > Bell is a tough job for anybody....)
>
> I think that's a fair description of Day I. By Day II, though, Leen
> seemed to miss some obvious (to me) technical questions that could be
> raised on cross. I also had the change to watch him more closely, and
he
> seems to be doing a perfunctory job. He's almost communicating to the
jury
> (and clearly communicating to the judge) that he believes his client is
> guilty but has the right to a trial.

Over 95% of the objections that Jim's attorney has raised over the last
2 days have been overruled, where almost every one of the objections that
the D.A. has raised have been sustained.  It's pretty obvious that Judge
Tanner hates Jim--partly because Jim hasn't shown the proper decorous respect
to the judge--and Jim's attorney is fighting that as well as the prosecution.
 By yesterday afternoon, he looked totally demoralized.

One of the people in the court who was reasonably friendly to Jim pointed
out to him yesterday that instead of trying to prove a point, Jim should
have spent his time trying to win his case.  Leen has to deal with a client
who is at least partly committed to a crusade.

Free, encrypted, secure Web-based email at www.hushmail.com