Libertarian Party of Washington State Fed Infiltration

Matthew Gaylor freematt at coil.com
Tue Apr 3 19:23:31 PDT 2001

[Note from Matthew Gaylor:  Declan McCullagh is Wired News's
Washington, DC Bureau Chief and is in Washington State testifying at
the Jim Bell trial.  Below is a message Declan sent to me concerning
an invitation I sent to Freematt's Alerts and to a few other net
mailing lists about the restart of Seattle cypherpunks meetings.  The
infiltration of political groups is nothing new going back as far as
nations have had secret police forces.  In the late 1980s and early
90s I served as a local Libertarian Party chairman in Ohio
(Columbus).  Several strange happenings made be suspicious of several
people that were active in the party.  Suspicious enough that it
prompted me to file FOIA requests with the FBI.  After the usual
several year process I was declined info about spying on the
Libertarian Party-  But the FBI did confirm that by releasing the
records they did have would have violated the privacy of a third
party (The informant).  And yes I think I know who it is and no I
won't say because I can't be 100 percent sure.   I have managed to
unmask informants and out right agents, once at a machine gun shoot
in Knob Creek, KY and once at another local civil rights
organization.  I'll be writing a more lengthy response to this.]