Bell Trial Day 1/2

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Tue Apr 3 14:26:42 PDT 2001

Tacoma 2PM

Declan's motion to avoid testifying was denied, though
Judge Tanner said defense cross-examination would be
limited to his testimony. Declan is testifying this
afternoon.

Judge Tanner twice warned Jim to not speak out and
that he will be muzzled or taken "down stairs" if
he does so. No mistrial, Jack barked.

Jim scribbled "SHAM" on a notepad and displayed it
to the courtroom.

Declan and I were excluded from the courtroom after the
hearing on his motion and the jury was empaneled.
My partner is allowed to remain but is not allowed
to tell me what is happening in the courtroom until
after my testimony tomorrow or the next day.

Nor can I buy a copy of the transcript until after
I testify. My partner can buy it but cannot show it
to me. My partner strictly obeys the rules.

Anonymous showed a copy of the feds memorandum on
how the trial is to proceed, about 40 pages. There
may be a chance of getting this at the end of the
day if the judge returns the case file to the public
records office.

A quick glance at the memo revealed the feds
witness and evidence lists. At least one other alleged
cpunk listed. In fact, it looks as though anybody
who spoke with Jim in jail has been subpoenaed,
except Adam Ciralsky of 60 Minutes, who is covering
the trial but has not been subpoenaed. All calls
were recorded, some of them to be used as evidence.

The memo reveals that the feds have been tracking
Jim for a long time, including using high tech
devices and udercover agents, as Jim has been
claiming.

The memo makes considerable use of "murder-for-hire
on the Internet."

Anonymous said the stalking law used against Jim
was enacted only a month before his arrest, and this
trial is the first application of the law.

A party said the first question asked of prospective
jurors was: "have you heard of cypherpunks?"

The memo states I will be asked about a post to cpunks
concerning location of CIA agents and that I might
invoke the 5th. And that I will be immunized if that
happens.

My partner expects a subpoena to disclose what we
speculate is the real reason for the Bell trial:
training for prosecuting counterterrorism in the
homeland. Retroactive application of laws and
investigations once limited to foreign enemies.