Declan McCullagh and prosecutions

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Apr 2 14:36:41 PDT 2001

It's true that I was subpoened in the Carl Johnson case (along with
John Gilmore and perhaps some other list-members) and ended up
testifying very briefly. My lawyer at the time indicated that because
Johnson was not a source -- just some random guy who sent me a few
messages -- I had no journalistic privilege that I could raise.

But I do now, and I have raised it.

As for the motion, I didn't write it, and those aren't the *moral* or
*principled* objections I would raise (and I have raised). Those are
the objections my lawyer thinks constitute the best trial tactics, and
I respect his judgment. Saying more than that seems inappropriate at
this point.

-Declan