DOJ steps up child porn fight, plan regulates digital cameras

Greg Newby gbnewby at ils.unc.edu
Sun Apr 1 16:01:03 PDT 2001

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 06:09:08PM -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>    II.2, which would not be mandated until April 1, 2003, is far more
>    high-tech. Some observers believe it will spur development of this
>    kind of advanced artificial intelligence, giving U.S. tech firms a
>    badly-needed boost given the recent stock market downturn.

I have used one of these.  Now that the NDC conditions have
run out, I can talk about it.

The coolest feature, which the article doesn't mention, is
its offer of counseling to those about to take a "forbidden"
photograph.  The AI technology involved in spotting the photo
is sufficiently sophisticated that the manufacturers thought
they might as well add voice capabilities.

Don't get me wrong: it's not HAL9000.  More like Eliza.
But before notifying the feds (at least in the model I saw),
you can be engaged in a Jungian-style discussion about early
family troubles in the hopes that you will repent.

The major fight, which could keep this functionality out of
the final production models, is whether the cameras could
explore miscreant's feelings about breast feeding.  Despite
affadavits from the American Psychological Association (APA)
and other well-known groups, various members of congress found
the topic unsavory.
  -- Greg