CCL (Crypto Carrying License)

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Sun Apr 1 12:31:24 PDT 2001

Declan said:

> No, it's perfectly reasonable to be "worked up" about more government
> regulations that restrict the actions of programmers and sysadmins and
> such.

Agree. I was just asking if there was any evidence that tech security
licensing was the intent.

> Professional organizations, eager to be the ABA cartel for tech,
> occasionally propose such things. But the beauty and efficency of the
> tech world is that you don't need to jump over government hurdles to
> do your job. When I was in high school, I was a tech consultant to a
> local Good Shepherd hospital -- good cause, and I did it for
> free. Restricting that would be plain silly.

Agree. And furthermore, you should erase all thoughts of this from their
minds. Especially since many of the best consultants have dark pasts. Yes, I
think you should be concerned. Crypto and "magickal knowledge" is a threat.
Be afraid, be very afraid...

> After all, the best person to decide whether a consultant is worth it
> or not is the person paying their bill. Are you sure you haven't been
> an ABA member for too long? :)

Erroneous assumptions. I don't even like protection licenses in the states.
I understand the reasons for them, and think these reasons are valid, but
the "license" is no indication of ability. Indeed, some of the very best....

I'm most violently against any licensing scheme of the sort, and THIS ONE IN
PARTICULAR. Ya'll keep dialing the wrong damn number with me. I'm starting
to get miffed about it. Go beat your chest somewhere else, Declan. :)

~Aimee